Rough in Plumbing in basement doesn't drain

Old 02-10-03, 09:16 AM
jpbaker10
Visiting Guest
Rough in Plumbing in basement doesn't drain

I am finishing my basement and the rough in plumbing for a shower, sink and toilet was installed by the buider. I broke the caps off of the drain pipes which stick up from the concrete floor. I poured some water in just to make sure they drained good and they didn't drain at all. Could this just be because of the fact that they have never been used and are blocked by some junk or is there something "special" i need to do in order for them to drain? I believe the shower and toilet are "vented" from under the concrete, and the sink is connected to a vent that goes to the roof.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-03, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard to say. Could be construction debris, could be that they left an air test cap under the slab, could be just plugged. I would try snaking out the pipes first and flushing with lots of water if you get them open. In extreme cases you might want to put a camera down the pipe to look before you do any more construction that might have to be redone. Will the builder stand behind the work?

Old 02-10-03, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pauly is right... It could be a number of things... I have found the air plug left in, but you should be able to see that in the closest cleanout to the downstairs plumbing... There is a plug that goes where a cleanout plug would normally go, but it has an air valve on it... It should be obvious... There are other types of plugs that can be used (and forgotten), but if it goes beyond the obvious, you may want to call the builder and ask them to send out the plumber to inspect the job for problems... They should do that at no charge... I have on one occasion found that the downstairs plumbing had been discontinued underground after they realized they didn't have enough grade to go to the tap, and it was just buried underground... That was the worst thing I have ever seen done in plumbing... Bad form, I say!