Removing pop-up tub stopper

Old 02-10-03, 11:16 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Removing pop-up tub stopper

My neighbor’s bathtub has a spring-loaded pop-up stopper that he wants to remove temporarily to help clear a clog. Unfortunately, I can’t see how to get this stopper out. There doesn’t seem to be any visible setscrew or retaining clip but it is firmly attached. Trying to unscrew it doesn’t work - the stopper just spins on the stubby rod that connects it to the drain assembly. By the way, there is no lever mechanism that operates this pop-up – I just operates by pushing the stopper down or pulling it up. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-03, 04:35 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello, Hold the big chrome part yith channel locks and unscrew the cap on the top (the part you pull on to drain the tub). With this removed you should see a slot for a screwdriver, this will remove the stopper.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 02-10-03, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Woodbutcher, I think the spring-loaded type is what he is referring to... The spring-loaded type many times have to be unscrewed while pushed all the way down... Others you have to pop the top off, it just snaps off and that leaves a screw exposed to get it off... One of those two ways should work...

HOWEVER, to unstop a tub drain, you don't want to run a snake or other device through the BOTTOM part of the drain where the pop-up is... You should take off the overflow plate that is higher up, closer to the faucet itself... If you take off that plate, you will have a more direct shot at the p-trap and the rest of the drain... Don't bother taking off the pop-up at all...

Old 02-11-03, 07:45 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Smile One more question...

Thanks Woodbutcher & Ragnar!

I will first try snaking through the overflow. I also noticed that my neighbor's toliet - which is adjacent to his tub - doesn't flush very well. It goes down but never really gets a whirlpool during the flush or suction that pulls the water out of the bowl at the end of the flush.

I'm thinking this indicates that the sewer stack is probably pretty mucked up instead of (or in addition to) the tup drain that leads to the sewer stack. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Old 02-11-03, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Quite a reasonable assumption... In which case you may need to snake out the mainline instead which may require taking up the toilet first to get access to the main... A cleanout outside will help if the stoppage is outside...

Old 02-12-03, 05:50 PM
There are plenty of toilets out there that look weak during the flush cycle. Remember those Am-ST Plebes they made during the 80's. The water level always rises about 2" before they drop. They look like they are plugged....they are not. Just wierd. I would want to know more about the toilet before taking the trouble to snake out the main.