well stinks

Old 02-10-03, 04:29 PM
PSK
Visiting Guest
well stinks

My well water has begun to stink, I know I can put bleach down the well and that helps. My question is we have a lot of soot in the ground so my well point is becomming cloged is there anything I can dump down the well besides bleach, to clean the point and the pipes in the house?

PSK

Old 02-10-03, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would test the well water and find out why it is stinking. I would call the health department in your area.

Old 02-10-03, 04:54 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Is it a sulfer (rotten egg) smell? We get this sometimes when the water table drops. Sulfer will leave a black deposit on things that are left to stand in the water. You might ask your local health department about it & ask if you could bring in a sample for testing.

Old 02-10-03, 05:08 PM
PSK
Visiting Guest
We are in an area where the Health dept. is looking into ileagle dumping, some of the wells have been tested positive for stricknine! Ours has been tested twice and the health dept says it is ok! The smell is kind of like a plastic smell. I have a whole house filter in line just before the softener. I took the filter out and put bleach in there the water smelled ok for about a week. Our well points need to be replaced in this area every 2-3 years as they get clogged. As it is winter and very cold I was wondering if there was any way to loosten the particles on the point at least until spring! Hopefully the health dept will bring in city water and solve all my problems.

Thanking you in advance for all your help
PSK

Old 02-10-03, 11:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

How often well points get clogged has to do with where you're at.
Your's lasts 2-3 years.
Here, we usually average about 7 years before they need replacing.
I have a capped galvanized extension up to ground level off of a T directly above my shallow well point for this specific purpose.
When my points begin to get restricted (before eventually replacing them), I unscrew that cap and fire a couple of .22 ball ammo rounds straight down it. The shock knocks stuff loose.
Of course, be careful and expect a little water splash back.
Years ago, the first time that I ever fired something down a well, I listened to an idiot neighbor of mine, and I (another idiot) fired a 12 guage down it.
Blew water all over me, the shotgun went flying and broke the stock, and it didn't do as good a job as the .22 pistol I now use. LOL
MIke

Old 02-11-03, 05:07 PM
PSK
Visiting Guest
I have heard of using that method before, I will have to try it, maybe it will get me into the spring. I wil have to put bleach into the well also to hopefully eliminat the smell of the water!

PSK

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: