Basement venting

Old 02-10-03, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement venting

Iíve got a question regarding vents, specifically in the basement.

Iím planning on tapping into my under-floor main line (cast iron) and putting in a laundry tub, toilet, shower and floor drain. Although Iíd like to use an air admittance valve, they are not allowed in my city. I would like to put the fixtures in as follows:
laundry tub, floor drain, and then toilet on one side of main line (in that order) and a shower on other side of main. I do have access to a vent line on the first floor kitchen (above proposed bathroom) which appears to be 1.5-2 inches in diameter and which terminates on roof (1.5 story house).

Do I need separate vents for each fixture? Distance is about 5 feet on one side of main line (laundry/floor drain/toilet side) and 4 feet on other (shower side)

Perhaps a drawing would help? If so, I could work on that tomorrow.

Thanks,
Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-03, 07:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By code here, you would not need separate vents for each fixture... First, run the toilet drain straight to the main line... Now between the toilet flange and the main, cut in a wye that serves as the vent for the toilet... Make it a 3" wye... Now run that 3" opening past the floor drain, and run a 2" opening (3 X 2 wye) to the floor drain... continue toward the laundry tray... As you pass the shower, you can run another 3 x 2 wye it you can get back over the main and maintain grade... If not, go ahead and reduce to 2" and turn up directly behind the laundry sink... Under the sink turn out with a 2 x 1.5 sanitary tee... the 1.5 will catch the sink trap, and out of the top of the wye, head up to the attic where you can tie the 1.5" vent to the existing vent....

Now if you weren't able to catch the shower in that run, you will have to revent it... Meaning that you have to cut in a second wye on the main... 4 x 3 or 3 x 3 depending on the size of the main... Between the shower trap and the main, you will cut in another wye for a vent, also 1.5" and again head to the attic... The vents cant be tied together until you get above the upstairs fixtures...

Old 02-11-03, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the reply, Ragnar.

I don't have room to put every fixture on the same side of the main, therefore I will have to run a second vent for the shower.

The only question I have is tying the basement vents together. Are you saying I CAN'T tie them together in the basement and then run them up in one vent?

Thanks,
pat

Old 02-11-03, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Technically no... if you have to revent, take it all the way to the attic... If you tie it in to the other vent in the basement, then THAT vent would have to go out the roof, and could not tie in to the vent in the attic... That is the technically correct answer, though I don't believe any inspector would question it if you tied the two vents in together in the basement and then took that vent to the attic and tied it into the other vent... It would certainly be funtional and safe, so I say go for it... If you are having it inspected, just run it by the inspector first... I am sure my codes here in ATL won't be the same as yours...