can I bury sewer cleanout pipe?

Old 02-12-03, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I bury sewer cleanout pipe?

I have the standard 3' public sewar cleanout pipe in the middle of my front yard. This obviously gets in the way and I would like to bury it. I'm not worried about having to locate it in the future...as i have a method to solve that problem.

My question is that is it OK for me to bury itby cutting it down below grade? If so, how deep should it be below grade? ARe there any issues with damaging the pipe with foot or lawn tractor moving above? I would appreciate any recommendations.....
Thanks in advance, tom....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 07:28 AM
Ifr you put it below grade, put a valve cover box over the top, flush to ground so all you have to do is remove a cover and you have access to the cleanout, believe me, out of sight out of mind, you bury it, you won't remember were it's at.

Old 02-12-03, 08:36 AM
thanks for your reply...If i make it flush to the ground, do you see any issues with people stepping on it lawn equipment such as tractor running over it. Can you damage, crack the PVC pipe or the lateral running into the sewar in any way?

Old 02-12-03, 10:12 AM
My mom hit her cleanout with the lawnmower a few times. The blades chipped up the PVC cover pretty badly. Of course, Dad never seemed to have a problem going around it. . . . .

Can you plant a few shrubs around it to conceal the cleanout?

Old 02-12-03, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is fine to put it flush with the ground... In fact, it should be flush with the ground in such a way that it won't trip people by code anyway, not several inches above ground... You can easily chip the top with a mower, but not if you put it just below grade... and you are very unlikely to break anything serious even if a lawnmower blade gets it... Ideally, you can put the top of it flush with the ground and then flip the plug over so that the square is indented instead of raised, and you will likely never have a problem...