problematic pvc-clay sanitary union

Old 02-13-03, 01:13 PM
chwood
Visiting Guest
problematic pvc-clay sanitary union

Ok, I've been up to my elbows in poo the last few nights working with a good friend who is a plumber to fix some sewer issues.

We're in pretty good shape, but I've hit a snag and I'm looking for some advice while he's out of town. Everything is tight and sealed except for the union between the new pvc that we ran from the stack to the short bit of clay that is connected to my floor drain just before running out to the street. For various reasons he felt it best to leave this piece be and connect to it, rather than trying to get it out and tie in elsewhere.

Anyway - I've got a fernco coupling to go from the 4" pvc that is just the right diameter to seat snugly into the hub on the clay pipe...BUT the pvc comes in at a bit of an angle and for the life of me we couldn't get the fernco to sit in there all the way around - there is a small gap in the outside lower corner.

My question is - is there another method for making this connection more effectively or is there some technique I can use to seal outisde and around the fernco in order to make this transition solid?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-03, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could use a 22 degree PVC street fitting (hub on one side only, pipe size on the other) to make the turn. Fernco the street side of the fitting and glue the other end into your pipe.

Old 02-13-03, 08:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, the make a 4 x 6 fernco coupling that may go OVER the hub... Did I understand you correctly? that you put the fernco IN the clay hub or did I read that wrongly? If you are going into a clay hub with PVC then you may be able to use a rubber "donut" to make the seal... A better description might be helpful...

Old 02-14-03, 07:23 AM
chwood
Visiting Guest
lol

nope, you nailed it. I had a smaller fernco that the plumber brought thinking he might have to cut into a clay pipe and then use this to go from 4" pvc into the middle of a clay stick. as it turned out, it also fit nicely inside of the bell hub on the end of the clay bit so we tried to do that.

I ended up trying exactly what you are suggesting - I picked up a 22 degree elle (do they make 22 streets?) to fix the bad angle and a 4" x 6" fernco to go OVER the bell hub instead of inside. That looks like it will work - I'm going to go for it tonight.