How do I stop the bath tub faucet from leaking?

Old 02-17-03, 07:06 AM
bbme999
Visiting Guest
How do I stop the bath tub faucet from leaking?

The bathub faucet has been leaking hot water for two weeks, and I can not get anyone from my family to fix. I had been browsing this site, and I noticed you normally ask people to 1) turn off the water and 2) detach the faucet. I need to know how to do both steps please. The faucets is the kind where you have two separate knobs for the hot and cold water, and the sprout is a few inches below(separate) with a pull-thing for the shower. I do not see a brand name on it.
When someone gets back to me, if they can please list the tools needed to do each job. I will be raiding my father's tool box.
THanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-03, 08:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like you have compression type faucet valves with o-rings on the valves and rubber washers on the ends.
You need to turn off the water, unscrew the hot water valve, and replace the washer on the end of the stem.
If you're just doing the hot water side, you can just turn off the hot water only by turning off the cold water supply valve at the top of the heater.
You will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove the handle (and maybe a knife point to pop off the handle center piece, if you have plastic handles), and a socket that will fit the valve retaining cap or an open-end or an adjustable wrench, if you can reach it with the latter two.
Take the valve with you to the store and replace the o-ring and washer.
You can find more info by doing a Search above for Compression Faucets.
Good Luck!
Mike