Laying PVC Pipes in Footer Trench?

Old 03-03-03, 04:45 AM
DIY James
Visiting Guest
Question Laying PVC Pipes in Footer Trench?

I'm adding a garage/workshop building on my lot in the deep south. For future sprinkler system in that part of the yard, I wanted to use the footer trench to lay some PVC 200 psi pipes to get to the other side of this building. A valve box would go on one side of this building, so I would go ahead and build it and leave on end of the pipes within it. Does anyone see a problem with putting the pipes in the bottom of the footer trench?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-03, 05:34 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
The chemicals in concrete have a tendancy to eat away at the cement used in PVC connections. There is also the possibility of cracking of the PVC as the concrete sets up, or in later settling. Moreso if the weight of the footing, slab and structure is on top of the pipe. This is especially true in long runs.

Leaks in pipes encased in or under concrete is ALWAYS bad news. Since the area is trenched already, consider running the pipe alongside the footing, after the forms are removed and before backfilling.

Old 03-03-03, 05:36 PM
J
Received 247 Votes on 217 Posts
If you are just laying the pipe in the trench before it is backfilled I see no problem.

Old 03-04-03, 04:36 PM
DIY James
Visiting Guest
Boatcop,

That is the idea I think I will use. Thanks.