Washer Drain

Old 03-04-03, 11:33 AM
windman
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Washer Drain

My washer currently empties into a laundry tub. I'd like to convert it to drain to a 2" standpipe.
I plan to add the 2" standpipe to the existing vent stack. The vent stack services fixtures in the laundry room and the adjacent kitchen, both on the first floor. Each fixture has p-trap and individual drain line (all 1.5") to the 2" vent stack. The drain line are connect to the vent stack in this order, counting from the top,
the kitchen sink (17" above floor), the dishwasher (15" above floor), and the laundry tub (13" above floor).
I plan to connect a 2" p-trap to the 2" stack at about 18" from the floor, which puts it on top above all the existing connections. I will attach a 18" long standpipe to the p-trap so that the washer will connect to it at about 36" above floor. The p-trap will be in plane with the drain pipe and inside the wall between studs. Here are my questions :
(1) Will there be a problem with backflow from the washer to the sinks since the washer connection is on top of the others on the stack ? Also concerns me is the washer pipe is 2", while the others are 1.5", and the 2" drains to a same size 2" stack
(2) is the drain stack sufficient sized for everything connected to it ? Need to increase stack to 2.5" ?
(3) is it ok to drain 2" pipe to a 2" stack ?
(4) is the order of the connections ok ?
(5) any special consideration for the p-trap inside dry wall ? like access panel ?
(6) any other comments ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-03, 11:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Check with your Building Inspection Department for local plumbing code, which varies from place to place.
You may be able to do it.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 03-04-03, 11:37 PM
P
Your questions...

1) Will there be a problem with backflow from the washer to the sinks since the washer connection is on top of the others on the stack ? Also concerns me is the washer pipe is 2", while the others are 1.5", and the 2" drains to a same size 2" stack.

( Possibly, I am still a bit confused from your terminology about the vent stacks vs drain stacks. Vent stacks carry ONLY air, drain stacks have water moving through them. If the drain line from the washer runs down hill and then connects to a PROPERLY vented and fitted 2" vertical drainage stack that has a two other sink connections further downstream it should be OK. IF I understand you correctly. Each fixture should have a separate vent line giving air to it before it hits the common drain line. If the venting is wacky then you will get improper suds relief and the bubbles from the soap will end up in the other sinks.)

(2) is the drain stack sufficient sized for everything connected to it ? Need to increase stack to 2.5" ?

( NO 2" is fine for one washer, a couple of sinks and one dishwasher)

(3) is it ok to drain 2" pipe to a 2" stack ? (YES)

(4) is the order of the connections ok ? ( See above)

(5) any special consideration for the p-trap inside dry wall ? like access panel ?

(As long as the P-trap inside the wall cavity is solvent glued together you can seal it in. If it has slip nuts on it then you should put access to it, many people don't though.)

(6) any other comments

Old 03-05-03, 06:53 AM
windman
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I will check the local codes before proceeding.
Sorry Paulypfunk for the confusion. I'm a real novice on this.
The stack I am referring to is the vertical pipe that goes down to the basement, then turns and runs horizontally to the main waste stack. There are no individual vents for any of the fixtures (wet-venting ?). All fixtures are connected to this same vertical pipe. How to prevent soap bubbles in general ? and back flow ?
I have read a lot of these kinds of problems in this forum and do not want them when I am done.

Old 03-05-03, 09:52 AM
P
The top most connection is fine because it has the vent all to itself coming down on top of it. The ones beneath that sound wrong. Be sure that the washer discharge has a vent connection soon after the p-trap to give the suds a chance to escape. As to the other vents, Yes you use a single bathroom sink drain line as a wet vent but the drain pipe needs to be oversized to do it properly. Any chance you can drop the discharge from the laundry in at the bottom of the three connections. Your margin for safety increases if you could do that.

Old 03-05-03, 05:40 PM
windman
Visiting Guest
Paulypfunk,

Yes, I am now thinking about attaching the washer drain to a p-trap connected to a vertical pipe which then runs to the horizontal drain pipe in the basement. The vertical pipe will re-vent to the existing vent stack. This will put the washer downstream of the other fixtures. One problem is the existing drain pipe for the tub runs right where I want the vertical pipe, unless I change the tub drain also to a vertical drop to the basement drain. Does it sound like a good plan ?

Oh, by the way, I want to use a washing machine outlet box. Are there general rules for installation such as height from the floor, minimum distance from a electrical outlet etc.

Thanks again