Looking for advice on buying a new water heater and softener.

Old 03-06-03, 06:58 AM
cardbord
Visiting Guest
Looking for advice on buying a new water heater and softener.

Water Heater:
I am looking to buy a new natural gas water heater and would like some advice on the subject. Currently the one we have is a NG 40 gallon.

Is there a way to insure that if someone is showering and a person in another bathroom flushes a toilet the person showering isn't scalded? I know people that don't have this problem. We currently have a water temperature monitor in the shower head to prevent this from happening. Is "fast recovery" recommended or just marketing?

Water Softener:
We are renting a softener from Culligan at present, but would like to buy one to eliminate the rental fee.

What features would you recommend?

Thank you,
Rick

Old 03-06-03, 01:22 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Regarding scalding:

How old is your shower valve (or do you have two valves for the shower, one hot and one cold)? New shower valves are designed to prevent what you describe from happening. Installing one of the new valves will prolly solve the problem.

I just hade a plumber replace my oil boiler and electric water heater. He installed a gas 40 gallon State water heater. It's hard to break out the cost of the water heater from the cost of the boiler, but the water heater was approximately $450 more than if I just did the boiler (included removal and disposal of the old water heater).

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: