Relocating bathroom sink trap

Old 03-07-03, 05:50 PM
Laxman
Visiting Guest
Relocating bathroom sink trap

Hello,

I'm installing a new bathroom vanity, sink, countertop, faucet, etc. I'm having a problem rotating the trap to meet the drain from the new sink.

Here's where I started at:

The old vanity was like 42-44" and the new one is just 36" so the current location of the trap (and water supplies) doesn't match up to the new vanity and sink.

What I think I can do is rotate the bottom part of the trap to the left, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Here's one last shot of about how far over I need to move it.

Basically, what would you recommend? How would I go about doing this? Is it as simple as loosening the nut around the trap, rotating it, and tightening it again?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-03, 09:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, yes, that is how you turn the trap but the trap will only swing a few inches anyway, so it won't make up that gap... What you need to do is to cut the pipe off behind the existing adapter on the end... Glue an 1/8 bend on the piece at the wall aiming toward the new location, and then glue a trap adapter directly into the 1/8 bend... Now you should be aiming very close to the new sink drain location and should be close enough for a standard trap to work... Now buy a new 1.5" "slip joint" trap and install it from the new sink drain to the new adapter you put on... Trying to use the old trap assembly will be much more trouble than it is worth... As for the water, just get some 20" flexible stainless steel supplies and flex them over to the faucet... In fact, if the old ones aren't in too bad a shape you can probably just reuse them by flexing them over to the other side...