Basement Shower

Old 03-09-03, 06:26 AM
CRNAKS
Visiting Guest
Basement Shower

I am in the process of finishing our basement. We are original owners and had the builder plumb for a bath in the basement.
Long story short, the plumber who placed the plumbing left me with enough space for a 32" by 32" shower (maybe).
I would like a 38" shower and have the space if I can put the shower in a different area.

The question: Does the trap for the shower need to be directly under the shower?

My hope is that I could build an elevated platform, run the drain pipe back to the original pre-plumbed drain area and place the trap there. Would be about a 4-5 ft run.

Thanks for the help!
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-03, 07:51 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When the plumber roughed in the drain for the shower, he put a p-trap in the concrete for the shower drain. You don't need to and don't WANT to add a second trap to the shower drain.

Your idea of placing the larger shower on a platform will work if you simply put an elbow under the shower drain and run about 4 to 5 feet over to the stub out that the plumber left you, and use a second elbow to connect to it.

The alternatives would include things like moving walls, breaking up concrete, ...

Old 03-09-03, 08:26 AM
CRNAKS
Visiting Guest
p-trap

I do not believe the plumber took the time to place a p-trap.

The branch for the shower has an opening in the concrete slab probably 8 x 10 inches framed in wood. The drain line comes in parallel to the slab and is capped (the drain is not vertical but horizontal). The toilet and sink drains are coming out vertical fron the slab. I did take some photos before the slab was poured and did not notice a p-trap in place.

The hole looks deep enough to place the p-trap.
Thanks for the help.

Old 03-09-03, 11:15 AM
I'm not a licensed plumber, but it sounds to me like your plan would work. You'd want to put that P trap in and use elbows like lefty suggested.

The drain line comes in parallel to the slab and is capped (the drain is not vertical but horizontal)
If you've got pictures taken after the rough plumbing and prior to pouring the slab you might want to take a look at them , but if your plumber did the work correctly, I'd say your drain is running on a slope to your main drain and isn't exactly parallel to your slab floor. So I'd say your plan would work out fine. You're planning on using a fiberglass shower unit right? Just make sure your platform supports the shower floor solidly. Good luck.

Old 03-09-03, 06:33 PM
CRNAKS
Visiting Guest
talked to plumber

I did hire a plumber for advice and to help me at an hourly rate. This way I can get the hands help and make sure I meet code for the inspections. Long story short, a p-trap that is not under the shower is a running drain. The plumber stated that the local law (code inspectors) frown on that. We talked and decided to get the shower I want we need to bust up some concrete and just go ahead and move the drain a little.
Exactly what I had hoped to avoid with the basement being pre-plumbed.
I know in the long run I will be happier with a larger shower than trying to shoehorn a 32" shower into a 31" space.
So guess my workout this week will be busting concrete.

Old 03-10-03, 05:31 AM
L
Smart moves, ALL THE WAY AROUND!

Old 03-10-03, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a limit on how far you can move the shower over from the trap but you can definitely do it and stay code... Your rough inspection has already been done and technically he shouldn't even ask to see that trap again... However, it will definitely be functional to do it that way, so it can't hurt just to ask the inspector ahead of time... Otherwise, have fun with the sledgehammer, and if you need help, call me up... I will break the concrete up for free this week if you live somewhere in the reachable southeast, just cause I am in a good mood...

Old 03-10-03, 08:34 PM
I agree smart move with the plumber if ya gotta still get past a final inspection, those guys can be a pain at times. They serve a purpose, but sometimes they go a bit overboard. JMO

Let us know how it turns out. Oh yeah, don't forget your Wheaties!