water pump problem

Old 03-09-03, 10:23 PM
jljms
Visiting Guest
water pump problem

Here is how it started: While installing a whole house filter and moving things around a little, I broke the corroded part of the PRV that threads into pump housing.

Got that out and went to Lowes where they gave me a PRV. It's different than the old one but they said it would work.

The problem is after everything is back together, I have very little pump pressure and little pressure from the taps. The pump gauge read between 10psi-17psi. where before it was around 40psi.

The setup is a Meyers hc50 deep well pump teed off going into a bladder tank and rest of the house. Tank shows 20psi (air).
Pump seems louder than before also and won't stop running.

Suggestions Please???

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-03, 07:35 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water pump problem

It sounds like that for some reason the pump is sucking air. This will produce a "rattling" sound from the pump, which will make it sound louder than before.
Check the suction line (the bigger of the two going to the well) for leaks. It doesn't take much
to allow air to enter the pump.
Also, in "moving things around" it's also possible that rust and corrosion came loose in the pump housing and went back down the drive piping (the smaller line). The problem here is that there is a small nozzle and venturi in the deep well ejector down in the well, that plugs up very easily. When this happens, the pump cannot lift water and will not build pressure. The fix here, of course, would be to pull the piping out of the well.
Even if the PRV isn't the right one, you should still see pressure in the pump housing if the gauge is mounted directly to the head.
Let us know what you find.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com