Building bathroom in basement

Old 03-11-03, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Building bathroom in basement

Is it possible at all and how hard it is to build a toilet and a shower in basement. The sewage line is about 1' above the basement floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-03, 12:29 PM
If your main line is above the floor level you'll need to use an ejector pump to pump everything up. You rough in everything the same way (1/4" per foot slope for the drain, in ground trap for the shower with 2" drain, 3" drain for the toilet, all the necessay vents (lots of concrete breaking) but then instead of tying everything to the main line you run everything to a sump pit. Then you pump it up to the main.

Old 03-11-03, 12:37 PM
Thank you for your response. How big and expensive is that ejector pump? How complicated is it to install and maintain it?

Old 03-11-03, 01:06 PM
The pit itself is about $50 or so. Home Depot carries such a thing, and I'm sure that Menards/Lowes will have it also. You'll need the one with the air tight seal, you want it totally enclosed
An ejector pump that will handle toilet waste would probably be around $100 or so. I'm not aware of any special maintenance you need to do, but It would probably be a messy and smelly job to replace the pump

Old 03-11-03, 04:12 PM
drewsaum
Visiting Guest
I was in a non-chain hardware store last month and saw a brochure for toilets for basements. The unit had the toilet and the pump as a single unit. There were pump options that covered the height that the sewer was above the toilet and....
various sizes to include puming a shower, sink, etc.
No sump was necessary - it sat right on the floor and had a low profile. Sorry, I don't know the name of the manufacturer, but it might be worth looking for.
Drew

Old 03-11-03, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually a sump pump in a basement can be VERY labor intensive and difficult... Also it can be very complex... You have to have an outlet close to the pump area... The drain has to be run to the basin UNDER the concrete... Then the discharge line has to be pumped UP to the main line, and the vent line has to be run all the way to the roof... or atleast to the attic to be tied back in... Now as for the toilets that come with the pump and basin all in one, I have seen them and they might be a good idea and they will accomodate a sink, but they still require a discharge line to the main and a vent... Also, the opening for the sink has to be cut and all in all, I think the system is more complex than a standard sump and basin... Either type requires very little maintenance if they are not abused...

Unfortunately, this is a job where I would definitely recommend the services of a pro...