adjusting pressure relief valve

Old 03-12-03, 10:10 AM
cosmoe
Visiting Guest
Question adjusting pressure relief valve

I recently had a plumber install a Wilkins 70 pressure relief valve and since that time have had a problem with one faucet in particular. When first turned on, the water pressure is fine, and then it drops down to almost nothing. I think that actually the pressure is too high and it seems that there's a lot of air going through. I would like to know how to adjust the pressure myself.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-03, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A Wilkins #70 is a pressure reducing valve not a pressure relief valve...to adjust it you would loosten the locking nut on the bolt,and turn the bolt clockwise(into bell housing)to increase pressure,counter clockwise(out of bell housing)to reduce pressure.

Old 03-12-03, 01:27 PM
cosmoe
Visiting Guest
Thank you!

Thank you, poorplmbr! I appreciate your help.

Old 03-13-03, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually, it doesn't sound like you have a pressure problem however... The fact the the volume starts out fast and then slows down indicates the you have plenty of pressure but not enough volume... The PRV could have trash in the filter if he had to cut the line to put it in or had to drain much water on the install.... Or you could have a restriction somewhere else...

Old 03-14-03, 10:52 AM
cosmoe
Visiting Guest
Thank you Ragnar!

Thank you for the additional information. There are two faucets that have this problem--one on the main floor and one upstairs and the rest of the water "outlets" work fine. The water, as I said, starts fine, then slows down and sputters and sounds like air coming through with the water. Does this support your diagnosis of an obstruction?

I guess I'll have to call the plumber who installed the PRV!