Main water valve

Old 03-23-03, 04:17 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 36
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Main water valve

I need to change the main water valve. The valve that controls the water flow to the entire house. Years ago I remember a friend doing this by freezing the pipe below the valve with dry ice. Is this still done or is there a nother way short of having the city shut the water off. I live in Brooklyn NY. There are tenants in the building and a long shut off would inconvenience them. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-23-03, 06:33 PM
mattison's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinti, OH
Posts: 5,315
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know if I would try dry ice but there are pipe freeze kits that use nitrogen but I doubt they rent them and by the time you bought one you could call a plumber.
Old 03-24-03, 05:45 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Are all of you on one water meter for the whole building?
If you are, you will need to schedule a shut-off long enough to replace or repair the valve, and notify all tenants (who also may need to make plumbing repairs while the water is shut off).
If you're replacing your main cut-off, I would go with a ball valve instead of a gate valve.
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: