Adding half-bath

Old 03-26-03, 07:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Adding half-bath

I have a small 2 bedroom with an 8'X8' laundry room off the master bedroom that is crying out to be turned into a 1/2 bath (sink and commode). It's on a 1/2 acre, outside the city limits, and it doesn't increase water usage (not adding bedrooms) so the septic system can handle it.

I know the basics of plumbing, I've been rehabbing houses for 20+ years but I've never added a bathroom to a house.

Any recommendations on books regarding adding baths?

The laundry room backs up to the original bathroom so the drains don't need to run real far.

BUT, is it better to put the toilet closer to the other toilet (downstream from the new sink) or put the sink closer?

Any recommendations on adding vents that doesn't involve, or at least minimizes opening walls?

My basic plan is to place a 4" TEE over the main drain (which is directly under the original toilet), the gives me two 4" branches, one pointing east, one pointing west.

The one pointing east will have the kitchen sink (1 1/2") original bathroom sink (1 1/4") and original shower (1 1/2"???), feeding into it.

The one pointing west will have the new toilet, new bathroom sink, and laundry draining into it.

The house is post and beam so by removing the floor in the laundry I have pretty decent access.

I'm in the preliminary planning as my tenants aren't moving out until April 6th, and I have the general painting, carpeting, clean up etc to do before putting this unit up for sale. My target date is May 1 to start advertising.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.
slumlordfrank

Old 03-26-03, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

How about an illustrated step-by-step article from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine on adding a half-bath:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/200002/project/main.html
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-26-03, 01:43 PM
adding a 1/2 bath

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I needed. Using that I just started drawing my plans on something more substantial than a napkin. I usually go by the theory of "buy everything I MIGHT need at the home center" do the job, take back the 30% that I didn't need.
My estimates are that I'll spend less than $600, and I figure the 1/2 bath should add about $4,000 to the value of the house.
slumlordfrank

Old 03-27-03, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Frank,
As you undoubtedly know, start with your Building Inspection Department with your plan first for info on local codes (which vary), permit and inspections requirements.
Good Luck!
Mike
P.S. By the way, I'm originally an old Texas boy myself. Born in Texarkana, raised in Gladewater, up near Longview, in the North East Texas oil field country. Had a friend from Marble Falls back in college, but that has been so far back...the other '01... that I can't even remember his name (do well to remember mine these days). LOL

Old 06-10-08, 07:33 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGuy
How about an illustrated step-by-step article from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine on adding a half-bath:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/200002/project/main.html
Good Luck!
Mike
Found that link to be dead and tracked now the article on the new rd.com site.
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18279/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: