Connecting copper pipes

Old 03-26-03, 10:41 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Connecting copper pipes

Is there way to connect two 1/2" copper pipes without soldering?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-03, 11:29 AM
T
If the connection is not inside the wall you can use compression fittings. But a solder joint is much better.

Old 03-26-03, 11:41 AM
A
Can I use compression fittings for copper water pipes going inside ceiling joists in basement?

Old 03-26-03, 11:44 AM
You can use them. I would be sure they are not next to any electric and would keep them accesable.

Old 03-26-03, 12:21 PM
A
Exclamation

Thank you all for your responses. Does the plumbing code prohibit to hide connection fittings under drywall or it is just not recommended (why?)? I want to drill holes in joists and relocate water copper pipes inside joists. I wanted to hire a plumber to solder the pipes. But it turned out to be so expensive so I simple cannot afford this and am desperately trying to find a way to do it myself. I cannot solder. Another questions that I have. are copper tube pipes bent? If they are what's the best technique to bend them?

I forgot to mention that I intend to use ceiling tile in my basement. so technically all pipes will be hidden by the ceiling tile.

Old 03-26-03, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

A brass compression fitting may start leaking at some point, whereas a soldered copper joint shouldn't. This is the reason that they should be more accessible.
If you're going to use copper pipe above a drop ceiling with ceiling tiles, they should be accessible enough.
You can get 90 degree compression fittings, T compression fittings, and straight compression fittings to do what you want.
Be careful about drilling too many holes in floor joists, though.
Also, you might use flex copper tubing rather than rigid copper pipe, if it will help with the installation.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 03-26-03, 02:03 PM
T
It may be less expensive to simply learn how to solder then use all those compression fittings, they are not very innexpesive.
Also, if you have a droped tile ceiling there is no need to run the pipes through the joists. I would not recommend you do that anyway if you run the pipe perpenticular to the joists.

Old 03-26-03, 02:18 PM
A
Lightbulb

I never soldered nor I have any soldering equipment. I guess it requires skills I don't have. I just need to relocate 3 or 4 copper pipes. I also don't understand the comment "if you have a droped tile ceiling there is no need to run the pipes through the joists". I intend to staple ceiling tile directly to joist. So I need either to box pipes that are currently well below joists. I absolutely don't want to do that. I want to relocate those pipes inside the joists. I talked to a plumbing inspector yesterday and he said there should be no problem to drill 1" or 2" holes in 7" joists. The only think he mentioned is that a hole in joist should be at least 2" from joist bottom.

Originally posted by trinitro
It may be less expensive to simply learn how to solder then use all those compression fittings, they are not very innexpesive.
Also, if you have a droped tile ceiling there is no need to run the pipes through the joists. I would not recommend you do that anyway if you run the pipe perpenticular to the joists.

Old 03-26-03, 07:09 PM
You should be fine. There is a possibility of a leak in the future but if you got a few extra tiles in back-up you're set.

OldGuys idea of the soft copper is even better cause you can run that all over with only the 2 fittings.

Also keep in mind if you go with the comp fittings don't get 1/2" fittings, they won't fit on the pipe you'll need 5/8" fittings.

Old 03-26-03, 08:29 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
What about CPVC supply pipe? Could Agalkin replace all the pipe that will be hidden under the ceiling with CPVC and glue it up instead of sweating copper pipes?