plumbing

Old 03-31-03, 08:30 AM
zipper
Visiting Guest
Unhappy plumbing- bubbles from the toilet

When I built my house (11 years ago) I had a toilet roughed in the basement. I recently connected it up. My problem is that when the washing machine is being used upstairs and goes to the cycle that empties the tub, the toilet makes noise and I see air bubbles escaping from the toilet downstairs. the water level the goes down in the toilet. Water still remains in the bowl (enough to cover the opening). What can be done to solve this problem? Does the drain hose to the washing machine upstairs need some type of vent cut into it? Please help!

Last edited by zipper; 03-31-03 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-31-03, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My guess is that there is not a vent upstream of where the toilet runs into the main relative to the washing machine. You need to prevent the negative pressure that forms behind where the washing machine pumps its water into the drain. A vent like you mentioned (in the washing machine drain) may not solve your problem. There are people here who can answer this one for you with more authority than I can so just be patient.

My only reason for replying was because I had a similar condition with a toilet and it was because it was plumbed next to a washing machine drain and the vent was near enough for code but on the other side of the washer drain tee. It caused the same problem you have. I lived with it until I remodeled the laundry room (made it a pantry) and moved the washer to another location.

Good Luck

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: