sink drain flange stuck on drain tailpiece underneath

Old 04-06-03, 01:55 PM
marktanglewood
Visiting Guest
Exclamation sink drain flange stuck on drain tailpiece underneath

trying to replace a bathroom faucet assembly but the flange at the sink drain (inside the vanity top) is stuck inside of the drain tailpiece below
i have loosened the locknut, washer and gasket below just fine (but ya know they only go so far until they stop just above the pivot rod connection body)
and i don't have enough clearance to get a solution of that stuff that loosens old pipe connections
IS THERE A TOOL or
A TECHNIQUE
that i am missing here?
OR am i going to have to replace the vanity top too <argh!, sigh>

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-03, 04:54 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Good evening Mark. Disconnect the knurled nut that holds the operating rod to the tailpiece and remove the rod. This allows you to remove the pop up plug from the drain. There is probably a layer of plumbers' putty under the chrome piece of the drain in the sink. Just rock the tailpiece back and forth to break this loose. Now you can push the drain assembly up toward the sink and unscrew the chrome ring in the sink from the rest of the drain assembly and pull the tailpiece down and out of the sink.
Have a good day and let us know how everything works out.

Old 04-06-03, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hacksaw

Old 04-06-03, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I am with PoorPlumber on that one... Just hacksaw above the locknut you loosened and then you can just push the remaining piece up through the sink... Otherwise, with the locknut all the way loose, as you have it now, you can push the whole assembly up as far as you can... Now the flange should be high enough above the sink to get a pair of channel locks around it and hold it while you turn the rest from the bottom...

Old 04-24-03, 12:14 AM
marktanglewood
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Greatly appreciate alll the replies... after working that drain (tailpiece) unrelenting, i eventually damaged the vanity basin top, oh well...

so i just replaced the whole vanity basin top

then saw a tool which i cannot remember the name, but it looks like the USB symbol we see on our PCs with a long neck... almost like a corkscrew... but still don't believe it would've worked cuz that dang thing was on there real tight!

thanks again! BTW i have learned a lot on here, reading about other's queries... WHAT A GREAT WEBSITE!