SLow drain pains....

Old 04-07-03, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SLow drain pains....

I have a sink in bathroom that used to drain very slowly. I attributed this to the fact I had just replaced all the pipes (since the copper had rusted through) and somehow leveled them so the flow of water was going upwards a tad on the last pipe yet it still drained.

2 days ago I emptied half a bottle of Drano max in the drain to see if it was maybe clogged and guess what it was clogged the drain now flowed like a regular drain it worked so well all day no problems whatsoever I let the tap run with hot water for about 15 minutes to flush it out and did this maybe4-5 times throughout the day and the drain was fine and flowed very well.

last night I tried the sink again and it was clogged again but this time 100 times worse then before water barely flowed. Is it possible the clogged reformed in such a short time? The pipe is only about 2 meters to the main stack but the clog seems to be in the p trap again.

I still had some drano crystals from a while back but I don't like using them since thats some nasty (insert expletive here). it heat up the pipe like mad, at least the drano max doesn't get hot Anyways I tried two applicaitons of the crystals and that did nothing drain is still slow.

What should I do my girlfriend isn't missing any jewelry but it is very possible my son dropped stuff in there although I have no idea what since its a very small opening. Is it possible the clog I had before simply moved further into the pipe? Then how come the drain woked fine all day until the next day? How should I proceed I don't realy want to take the pipes apart again before of the condition of the sink (bottom is rusted out and there are chances it may break and the opening in my couter is the size of a ktichen sink so I would have to get a new counter to install a new sink.)

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-03, 04:43 AM
Talking

WellDrano Max does it again, I went to buy a pipe snake, and bought more drano max, poured it in waited 30 minutes started flushing it out with hot water and it was still clogged, as the water was draining the clog came loose and the drain emptied quickly but then backed up again, so the clog had only moved further down. I drano maxed it again for another 30 minutes, it was still clogged, I filled up the basin and went down stairs while it drained slowly and about 5 minutes later I hear a woosh, ran upstairs and the clog was gone. Love this stuff

Old 04-08-03, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Gotrek... Sorry I didn't catch you sooner... First DON'T use drano crystals... In my opinion, they are very dangerous, but they also can turn into crystal drano bricks in the drain and permanently clog the drain... I have seen it dozens of times... If you can't get enough water to flow to dilute it and wash it through, it gets just wet enough to form a large brick of white rock... Anyway, as for Drano max, I love it for a preventive measure... If you will carefully read the instructions though, you will find that it will warn you that the drain could appear to get SLOWER initially.... The reason is that drano max is not intended to break clogs like the drain openers do... It causes buildup to break away from the walls of the pipes.... All the sludge breaks down from the sides, and initially you get all that sludge in the drains and it slows down until you get it to wash away... Also, you can sometimes give it a little plunge after you have flush it with water as instructed to get some of that sludge to move and down and wash away...

Old 04-09-03, 04:31 AM
Thanks thats good info, I've been running the drain for at leats 15 minutes a day and it is still flowing very well, I will keep doing this until is clear, there couldn't be to much buildup in the pipes since the pipes are only 6 months old Hopefully things will stay clear. thnks for the info/

Old 04-09-03, 06:16 AM
Cool

IMHO, you would be better off using a good enzyme-based drain cleaner for maintenance like DrainCare.
It dissolves the gunk clinging to the sides of the pipe, instead of just breaking it loose in a clump.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-09-03, 06:20 AM
Well after searching the forum I found a lot of reccomendations for draincare, I went to my local homedepot to look for it but did not find any, I'm in canada so we may not get it here, I was planning on picking up a large bottle of Zep enzyme based cleaner, I assume this will work the same? How frequently should I use it to keep things running smooth?

Old 04-09-03, 06:23 AM
Cool

It depends on the sink usage (how many, makeup, etc.).
Give it a shot anytime that you see it starting to get the least bit sluggish.
All enzyme-based cleaners basically work the same. Run warm water down the drain, pour in the recommended amount of it, let it eat overnight, and then easily flush it all down with very hot water.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-09-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by OldGuy
It depends on the sink usage (how many, makeup, etc.).
Give it a shot anytime that you see it starting to get the least bit sluggish.
All enzyme-based cleaners basically work the same. Run warm water down the drain, pour in the recommended amount of it, let it eat overnight, and then easily flush it all down with very hot water.
Good Luck!
Mike
Thanks... the only thing that ends up in that sink is spit-up thoothpaste, hair and whatever my son crams in there when I'm not looking But we do have a strainer on it so not much gets by.

Old 04-09-03, 06:28 AM
Cool

The enzyme-based cleaners will dissolve all organic stuff like hair, soap scum, etc.
Mike

Old 04-09-03, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the confusion, but the Drano Max I was talking about IS an enzyme based buildup remover... I didn't realize that Drano calls a whole line of products Drano Max... They make a clog remover and a buildup remover... The one I assumed you were using is the buildup remover... That is the one that can initially cause slower drainage and is safe to plunge behind after you have done the treatment... You should NOT plunge behind the Drano Max CLOG remover... That would be dangerous... and Drano Max BUILDUP remover is the one that I like as a preventive measure....