continued leak from disposal pipe joint

Old 04-07-03, 02:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
continued leak from disposal pipe joint

I am having a problem where my disposal discharge pipe fits into a slip joint fitting.
If i run the water in the sink normally, there is no leak; however, if i put several inches of water into the sink and let it go down all at once, water seeps up out of the slip joint fitting where the disposal pipe meets a 90 degree waste fitting. It is tight. Should i use pipe joint compound around the flared washer?
Thanks.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-03, 03:19 PM
Yes pipe dope will help seal it.

Old 04-08-03, 02:23 PM
D
The pipe dope worked like a charm in stopping the slip-joint connections from leaking. I put it on each pipe that fits into a fitting (around the beveled washer), and no more leaks!
Thanks.

Old 04-08-03, 06:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's how a good plumber would always put that pipe together... Good job...

Old 04-09-03, 03:13 AM
D
Thanks.
One other quick question. In the other bowl of the sink (not the bowl with the disposal), there is a regular metal sink drain/strainer. The drain pipe under it is a straight plastic pipe with a flat flange on the upper end that screws onto the bottom of the strainer. Inside of the flanged end of the pipe fits a little flat plastic washer that extends down slightly into the pipe interior. Should I also place a round rubber washer on top of this plastic one before it is screwed to the strainer assembly?

Old 04-09-03, 11:04 AM
Just use the that flat washer, they make a cloth type of washer that can be used to replace the plastic flat washer, you can use pipe dope on the flat plastic washer if it tries to leaking.

Old 04-09-03, 08:41 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
I've followed this thread with interest, since I was under the impression that you couldn't use pipe dope on plastic piping, just metal. I thought that it was reactive with plastic and would dissolve it. Was I wrong?

I've used plumber's grease to make a better seal on the beveled plastic washers with the plastic slip-joint connections under my kitchen sink. They also leaked a bit when I first installed them dry, then stopped leaking completely when I put a nice dollop of plumber's grease on the beveled edge and spread it around before tightening things up. Should I expect a leak one of these days? Thanks for any insight.

Mark

Old 04-09-03, 09:51 PM
Mark

I have used pipe dope for many years on plastic washers, seen no adverse effects from it.

Old 04-09-03, 09:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually, the old rector seal pipe dope and others DID dissolve the plastic over time and would create major problems... The new generation of pipe dopes are Teflon based pipe dopes and are not harmful to plastics...

Old 04-10-03, 08:45 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I had wondered if the new type of pipe dope might be Teflon-based or not. I may go that route in the future. It sure can be frustrating fighting with a little piece of tape that wants to twist around and has a bad case of static cling! I had been told a few years ago that tape gave a superior seal and lasted longer, but it sounds easier to brush the stuff on if you're working in a situation that would drive a carnival contortionist crazy!

Mark

Old 04-11-03, 06:48 AM
It's called seal Tight, is white in color, which is a teflon base.