"autovent" type devices

Old 04-08-03, 11:14 AM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
"autovent" type devices

I posted earlier about a venting problem with a new bath construction in my basement. How good are these "autovent" devices?
What is a good brandname?
How much room should there be around them in order for them to work properly?
Should you provide one "auto vent" for each item (toilet,sink, shower and bathtub).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-03, 11:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Air admittance devices (aka "autovents") work well when properly installed.
A good leading brand name is Studor:
http://www.studor.com/
You can see all kinds of application info on their site above.
First, check with your Building Inspection Department to see if they're even allowed where you are, and about permits, inspections, etc. Believe me, you never want to do anything that isn't to code, or you could create a safety/health problem or code problem when you go to sell your home.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-08-03, 06:33 PM
In my area, the ONLY brand name that is code is the STUDOR brand... any of the other so-called auto-vents or in-line vents are not usable.... The studor vents have been very dependable in my opinion, and you don't generally have to have one for every fixture... What you do is run the bathroom with the appropriate number of vents for your situation but instead of running your vents out the roof, you just cap them with a studor vent in an accessible area... That might mean anywhere from 1 to 4 vents for a full bath, depending on the layout...

Old 04-08-03, 06:34 PM
In my area, the ONLY brand name that is code is the STUDOR brand... any of the other so-called auto-vents or in-line vents are not usable.... The studor vents have been very dependable in my opinion, and you don't generally have to have one for every fixture... What you do is run the bathroom with the appropriate number of vents for your situation but instead of running your vents out the roof, you just cap them with a studor vent in an accessible area... That might mean anywhere from 1 to 4 vents for a full bath, depending on the layout...

I highly recommend sticking with studor vents, even though the temptation might be to go with the cheaper ones... Studor = $25-$30.... OTHERS= $3 to $6....