Turning cleanouts

Old 04-08-03, 11:43 AM
talon2112
Visiting Guest
Turning cleanouts

I'm finishing my basement and am framing around my waste pipes. Unfortunately all the cleanouts are facing the wrong way for my design.

I'd like to be able to turn them around so that they're facing the unfinished areas that they will be located in.

Any suggestions or guidelines on the best way to do this? As far as I know, the only way is to cut the PVC pipes and resplice them with a new section of pipe.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
-scott

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-03, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You've got it.
You don't need new pipe, just couplings. Get new PVC couplings, PVC primer and PVC glue.
Cut the line with a hacksaw, clean it up, and sandpaper the ends of the pipe that go under the coupling and sand inside the couplings.
Prime and glue, push the pieces parts together and give it a final 1/4-turn twist to its final angle to evenly spread the glue.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-08-03, 03:10 PM
J
Received 249 Votes on 219 Posts
You could use rubber fenco couplings. Support the pipe above. Saw the pipe above and below. Remove the section. Slip on the rubber couplings. Insert the section removed and turn it the direction you need. Tighten the fernco bands.

Old 04-08-03, 03:41 PM
Cool

Joe, you're just trying to make it too easy. LOL
Mike

Old 04-08-03, 05:57 PM
The glue couplings would be the most permanent and leak proof connection, however, you don't always have the play you need to lift up the pipe and glue the couplings on... If that is the case, go with the fernco couplings as you won't require as much play to get them in... The fernco couplings are very dependable also, are fairly inexpensive and are usually code in most applications...