Kitchen Sink -- no water flow

Old 04-08-03, 04:35 PM
Saynac
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Kitchen Sink -- no water flow

Hi guys. This website and forum is a godsend, it has helped me many times. I cannot fix my current problem though. Hopefully you can help me out.

I have a Moen 7600 series kitchen sink faucet. It has a long single handle as well as a sprayer installed near the faucet. The faucet has always worked but the sprayer has "never really" worked... at least, that is what the previous tenants of this apartment told me. Anyway everything was working fine until a couple days ago when some friends were here and one started messing with the sprayer. I didn't think anything of it until the next day when the faucet no longer works.

Neither the sprayer nor the faucet give water. I took apart the faucet by removing the handle, the long faucet thingy and what I think is the diverter (a free floating, small, circular white plastic thing with some o-rings on it). What I have left now is a small stub of metal poking out of my sinktop. I don't know what to do, I can't get any water to come out of the damn thing -- however, when I lifted the sprayer very high into the air and held the trigger down, some water eeked out of the faucet but no more will come out, even when I repeat this.

I found this link to a pic that closely resembles my faucet. http://www.plumbingwarehouse.com/images/moenkitchen.jpg

If you take a look at that and coordinate with what I wrote, you will notice that I have removed all the parts above the "Replacement Cartridge" area.

Can anyone help me out? I thought the diverter would be stuck or something easy like that -- never happens that way. =)

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-03, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I hate to ask this, but did your friend shut off the hot and cold valves to the faucet under the sink and fail to turn them back on?
Sounds like the problem.
You probably need to replace the cartridge while it's turned off.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-08-03, 05:04 PM
Saynac
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. As far as I know, no one was under the sink until I personally checked it out once the faucet stopped working.

I really do not know how to turn on/off the water flow on the valves... is it loosen to turn on the flow? That's how I have been treating it. If that is correct, they are all on. Also, our dish washer has water flow to it (it is based off the same flow pipes). I suppose a cartridge replacement is in order. Perhaps it is time to call Moen!

Old 04-08-03, 05:21 PM
Cool

You turn the handles counter-clock-wise to open them.
Mike

Old 04-08-03, 06:52 PM
Saynac
Visiting Guest
No dice... both valves are open. I guess the only thing left to do is get a new cartridge, eh? Are they purchasable at the local Home Depot-type stores or are they a call-Moen type of item?

Anyhoo thanks for your help, Mike, I'll post any results here as they occur.

Old 04-08-03, 07:08 PM
Well, if you took the spout off without taking out the cartridge and you had the water on, the cartridge should have blown out and hit the ceiling... The thing to do is to remove everything from the valve and turn the water back on underneath slowly and see if you get water to the spout opening...If you get water there, the stem needs replacing, and is actually quite easy and not very expensive... As for the water that you got to trickle out by lifting the sprayer, you were only getting the water from the spray hose and that is why it only happened one time...

Old 04-08-03, 07:57 PM
Saynac
Visiting Guest
Bah well it looks like the roommate called the landlord so I can't touch this stuff, don't want to ruin it. Thanks for the help anyway, I will post the solution to the problem if I see what fixes it.

Old 04-21-03, 08:46 PM
Saynac
Visiting Guest
Just a follow up to this post - plumber came today. He took three seconds to diagnose and fix the problem. Apparently the cartridge was the FUBAR piece. We replaced the cartridge and now it works like a charm. Thanks everyone for trying to help!

Old 11-17-10, 08:04 PM
I have changed faucet and now water will not come out.

Don't know what to do. Tried turning valves for hot and cold water and nothing. Help, I need to use my kitchen sink.

Old 11-18-10, 04:38 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Have you removed the faucet strainer? Most likely it is clogged with crud. Flush the lines once it is off to prevent a recurrence.