pipe / tubing type

Old 04-09-03, 06:30 AM
BW23
Visiting Guest
pipe / tubing type

I need to install a water pipe from a modular home 60 feet to a boat dock. The pipe/tubing will only be buried 8" under ground.
What type (specifics please) of pipe / tubing should I use to prevent a cracked pipe ? I do plan to winterize the setup late fall but I would also like a design to hold up in case we get a quick freeze.

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-03, 06:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Install an easily accessible cut-off valve at the home where it won't freeze, and a low-point drain spigot at the boat dock. I would T off of the boat dock end of the line with the spigot on the bottom and the line going up to your use point (fish cleaning sink?).
Then you can easily drain it when a possible freeze is coming.
It would have to freeze pretty hard to freeze 8" of ground hard enough to split your pipe, whatever it is.
I would run 3/4" PVC white plastic if it's just a cold water line. CPVC if a hot water line. then you will have plenty of volume down there.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-09-03, 07:27 PM
Agree with OldGuy... But if you live somewhere that gets near zero or stays below about 20 degrees for more than a week at a time, then you should put a shutoff at the house and a tee with an outdoor faucet on it near the house... Then in the winter you can turn off the shut off from the house and open the outdoor faucet and then open the boat house faucet to drain it completely....

Old 04-09-03, 07:49 PM
Cool

Right on, Ragnar.
I should have added that spigot back at the house for air behind the line and spigot down at the boat house for complete drainage.
I'm SLACK tonight. What's new? Sorry about that. LOL
Mike