Plumbing a basement bar sink

Old 04-11-03, 06:57 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing a basement bar sink

Hi all,

I've read the archives on this and also found the following Popular Mechanics article:
http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...nk/index.phtml

I still have a question about terminology and vents.

The bar I intend to build is against a 2x4 framed wall that I built in front of the foundation wall and what I call the "main drain" sewer line (that is, the main drain is behind this wall). Is this what is referred to as the "main stack" or is that something else? In any event, it's 4" PVC that runs from one end of the house to the other. All of the drains in the house attach to it. Also, the bar is directly beneath a powder room, so I have access to the plumbing.

Anyhow, after reading the PM article I think it implies that one or some of the lines coming off my "main drain" are vents? Or do I need to hack into an upstairs wall to tap into a vent?

Last, in the basement, is a 3 or 4" radon vent that runs from the sump pump pit up and out the roof. Could I use that as a vent for the sink (it's kind of far away, so I think I'd rather hack into a wall if need be).

TIA,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-03, 11:27 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Hi Jim,

The basement sink will require venting. The drain may attach to the exisiting main drain. The vent will need to be a seperate pipe that runs up the wall, and connects to the main stack about 8 inches above the level of the sink rim in the bathroom located above.

The bottom line is that the vent can not tie into the main stack at any place below where another fixture drains into the stack.

Also, looked at the progress pictures of your basement. Nice job !!!. One question - on the 4th photo down from the top on your 3/30 update, there is an electric junction box attached to side of the joist. Are you putting a drywall ceiling up?

Old 04-11-03, 11:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Brewbeer
Hi Jim,

The basement sink will require venting. The drain may attach to the exisiting main drain. The vent will need to be a seperate pipe that runs up the wall, and connects to the main stack about 8 inches above the level of the sink rim in the bathroom located above.

The bottom line is that the vent can not tie into the main stack at any place below where another fixture drains into the stack.

Also, looked at the progress pictures of your basement. Nice job !!!. One question - on the 4th photo down from the top on your 3/30 update, there is an electric junction box attached to side of the joist. Are you putting a drywall ceiling up?
Okay - I'll hack into the powder room wall (actually the laundry room wall is opposite - that would be easier 'cause I could do a less than stellar job repairing it and it wouldn't matter) to tap into the vent. I can see where the vent goes from the attic so it should be pretty easy.

Also, I have to get rid of that junction box. I am putting a drywall ceiling up and I don't want to carve out an access door just for that little box. That box is for 14/3 wire that runs between 2 3-way switches. I need to put a length of cable in to get rid of it. Is that what you were getting at?

Thanks for the reply and kind words.

Jim