Toilet tanks won't refill (2 toilets)

Old 04-11-03, 07:10 AM
shortfat
Visiting Guest
Toilet tanks won't refill (2 toilets)

It's a bad mix all the way around Yesterday, and the day before, a contractor somewhere hit the water lines and we lost water for an hour or so twice. Since then neither toilet tank will refill, so neither toilet will flush. If I fill the tank with water, they'd flush, until this morning when one seems to have clogged on top of all else??? Is the lack of water and then the failure to refill related in some way?

We are in a very rural area for whatever that's worth. Thanks for any advice....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-03, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't see how your non-filling problem would be connected to the flushing problem. I assume you are dumping a bucket of water in the stool to flush it and it just doesn't drain properly. Your problem with filling after a broken supply line leads me to assume that some dirt/gravel/sand must be clogging either the toilet water shut off valve or the float valve. I would first disconnect the tube from the valve to the underside of the two toilet tanks and see if water will flow when the valve is cracked a bit. If not, this indicates that the stoppage is in (or before) the valve. Shut off your water at the meter, then remove the valve stem and see if there is some trash accumulated at that point.

Old 04-12-03, 05:20 AM
Well heres my scenario. The water was off because of the line break. Someone used and flushed the toilets while the water was off. The pipe got fixed and when the water was turned back on, the first place it went was to the toilets. Any dirt that entered the system went right to the fill valves. You will have to decide how to clean them out as there are about 20 different designs of valves and we don't know which one you have. If it was mine, I'd go and get 2 new fill valves and replace both of them. They only cost 6 bucks or so and most new ones come apart for cleaning.

The reason the toilet is plugged is because it was probably used multiple times after being flushed and the bowl was already low on water. Get a plunger while you are at the hardware store and when the water is working again, plunge them to clear the waste.

Ken

Old 04-12-03, 11:43 AM
shortfat
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice and here's whats going on now...

I plunged the toilet that had clogged and it is now not only flushing but also refilling. Meanwhile, we've had no cold water pressure in the house for quite a while now except for one bathroom sink. Also the Washing machine, I assumed b/c of the low cold water pressure took FOREVER to run.

(I had a plumber out who told me there was no reason I would have hot water pressure but no cold water pressure so he just took the screens off the sink faucets which seemed to increase the pressure some but for both hot and cold. )

Well...now that the one toilet is working and filling, the other toilet is still completely dead, not even a trickle of refill BUT the washer runs perfectly and has normal pressure?!?

I wondered if air could have gotten into the lines and created an embolism in the toilet plumbing? The one that is not working is a manfield toilet with the ball float.

Thanks for the thoughts. Still battling...

Old 04-12-03, 02:06 PM
No embolism. Just dirt. I can't believe that a real plumber could not nail down and repair something like that in an hour. Whatever.

Ken

Old 04-12-03, 02:09 PM
shortfat
Visiting Guest
Searching for a better plumber...

Although I'll try replacing the fill valve first but then we clearly have more problems than this....

Thanks for the advice !

Old 04-12-03, 02:15 PM
If the cold water pressure is lower than the hot, look for a valve in the line after the branch for the water heater. It may be clogged with dirt. Any way that you can figure out how to back flush any lines would probably help you. It is difficult to figure out sometimes but it can clear all the dirt out of the lines if you can do it. It is very particular to your home. Not something we can say how to do remotely. Good luck and I hope you find a competent plumber.

Ken

Old 04-13-03, 08:10 AM
shortfat
Visiting Guest
Replaced fill valve

I think (there are lots of parts left over.. ) and then I turned the water back on fully prepared to have water leaking from my connections etc...well...no water. Nothing. Nada....not leaking , not filling not MOVING at all.

Gonna crawl under house see whats happening down there...