sump pump

Old 04-12-03, 04:56 AM
kvan
Visiting Guest
sump pump

i have a sump pump that goes out the basement wall pvc pipe it runs along back side of house and the down side of house to a ditch along the road...it has been working fine..then one day i checked it and it was running and not pumping...water was bubling in the sump pit but not going up and out....it was real cold out for a couple weeks before.....any ideas??????its been warm out 50 or so i tried to hook it back up and it still doesnt drain out......i have a pipe stuck out my cellar window draining in back yard it works fine until i hook it up to drain pipe....can someone help

Old 04-12-03, 05:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My first thought would have been that the line had frozen outside, but if it has warmed up since, forget that. A stuck check valve would cause that, or any type of blockage in the pipe. If there is a bunch of garbage stuck to the inlet of the pump, that will cause it too. You really need to take it apart to see what its problem is. Can you see the end of the pipe outside, to be sure it didn't get crushed or something?

Ken

Old 04-12-03, 05:24 AM
kvan
Visiting Guest
i can see the end of pipe it is not crushed....the sump pump pumps fine when i pump it out the window instead of drain pipe...how do i check the check valve

Old 04-12-03, 05:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You did say that in your first post, sorry. Depending where you disconnected the discharge, the check valve is usually one of the first fittings above the pump. If you took all the pipe off the pump and put the hose on there, you are NOT using the check valve now. If you take a look at the pipe near the pump, you will see it. It may be clamped in or it may be threaded in. You should disassemble it and examine it. You will see how it works and whether it is working at all.

Ken

Old 04-14-03, 02:40 AM
kvan
Visiting Guest
i hooked it back up to main pipe yesterday and it worked fine...so i believe the pipe froze up thats why i couldnt get it to pump

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: