replacing soldered faucet

Old 04-12-03, 06:40 PM
johnlee337
Visiting Guest
Question replacing soldered faucet

I got a leaking garden faucet and it is not the rubber donut thingy(I forgot the name for that). It would not be much of a problem to replace the faucet if it wasnt soldered. I found out how to replace them on the web; if I am correct you just melt the solder with a propane torch and resolder the new faucet. My problem is that the fuacet is attached to the outside wall of my house and that if I pull the faucet I can see the piping connecting to the faucet but I must pull the faucet to see the pipe coming out of the wall. I can pull the faucet to bring out the pipe from the wall and melt the solder but than the pipe will go back into the wall and I wont be able to resolder the new faucet. Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance!!
John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-03, 08:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, it is very rare that you actually solder a joint loose... The best way to accomplish your job is to buy a new faucet... solder a piece of pipe into it, cut the old one off with tubing cutters under the house about 1' inside the crawlspace or basement so that you can then reconnect it with a coupling out in the open insted of trying to resolder right up against the wall... Sand all your pipe and fitting connection surfaces and use a good flux... Also, you can not have ANY water in the pipe at all so you will have to turn all the water off and do a very sufficient job of draining it down...