point well

Old 04-14-03, 06:15 PM
peter88
Visiting Guest
point well

Have a point well probably 15 or so feet deep and a gould jet pump about 15 feet from the well. The pump head froze and I rebuilt the pump but can't tell if it's working right. It takes about 5 minutes to bring the 40 gallon pressure tank from 40 to 60 lbs after running water to the point of turn on. If the kitchen faucet runs the pump will maintain 40 lbs but not climb until faucet is turned off. Problem is when I run the outside faucet at full blast the pump drops down to 15 lbs after running the water out of the tank and stays there with little water coming out of the sprinkler. How can I tell if it is the pump or a clogged well point? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 02:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

How old is the point?
They'll usually clog up in about 7 years or so.
If it takes 5 minutes to build to 60 psi cut-off, it sounds like the point to me.
Mike

Old 04-15-03, 07:40 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
point well

I agree with Mike.
It sounds like the pump is starving for water as witnessed by the continual running with the sprinkler faucet open. Most any jet type pump will pump more water than a faucet can flow, and a pump will not build pressure without enough water to do so. The fact that the pump will eventually reach 60 psi tells me that there probably isn't a problem with the pump. Still, check for air leaks and proper operation of check valves (if any).
Good luck,
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com