Leaky shower faucets/Need to replace washers

Old 04-15-03, 07:57 PM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
Leaky shower faucets/Need to replace washers

My wife & I recently moved into this 1960 split a couple of yrs ago, and noticed the shower faucets keep leaking. I have to really turn the handles to tighten them, but it still drips (not much). I've been able to take eveything off exposing the entire pipe in the wall and even removed the small collar around the on/off stem. The problem is, I see the seal surrounding the stem (this should not be removed), but how do I get to the washer?. Is it attached to the end of the stem?. A friend at work said once the threaded collar surrounding the on/off stem is off, turn the stem counter clockwise and it will come off, exposing the washer. Won't the seal I noticed around the stem also come off?. Does the stem actually continue to be moved counte clockwise to come off?.

This would be the first time I'm replacing these washers.

Sorry for all of these questions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 08:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generally all the chrome trim is taken off first fully exposing the stem... With the stem exposed, you turn the whole stem assembly counterclockwise which exposes the washers... Don't forget to turn the water off first... Also, you may need set of special stem sockets to take your stem out...