Washer Discharge

Old 04-16-03, 04:30 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Washer Discharge

Expert opinions needed...
In the basement, I have a washer, a sink, and a sump-pump.
The sink is connected to the sump-pump.
The sump-pump is connected to the waste pipe.
The waste pipe goes to a brand new cesspool system. (The old one collapsed during pumping. No one was injured.)
Until now the discharge of the washer went out to the lawn. (The old cesspool couldn't handle it. The grass loves this setup, my wife doesn't)
I could connect the washer discharge directly to the waste pipe.
OR
Should I have the washer discharge into the sink first.
I now use one one of those mesh lint filters on the washer discharge.
My concern...
Is is better to trap the lint before it goes into the cesspool via the sink or will the lint just decompose along with the rest of the feces?
Maybe I'm anal about this...but(t)... am I spending too much time worrying about washer lint going into my new cesspool?
How about less stress on the washer pump by going into the sink rather than pumping up into the waste-pipe?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-03, 05:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I would just hang the washer discharge hose and lint filter onto the sink and let it drain into that.
A washer pump has a pretty storng discharge, and you could connect it directly to the main drain, if you like. Either way will work fine.
Washer lint should not be a problem with a new septic system, which should be routinely pumped at least every five years anyway.
Your call.
Mike

Old 04-17-03, 06:24 AM
If it was mine, I would pump right into the main house drain. Bypass the sump pump if the rest of the house drains to the cesspool on gravity. You will relieve the sump pump of the extra duty and the lint. Not to mention the gross stuff that gets in the utility sink.

Now all you have to do is wait for a tie-breaker.

Ken

Old 04-17-03, 09:40 AM
marako
Visiting Guest
And the tie breaker is:

Pump it to the lawn! I actually like this Idea the best. It will keep the "excess" water out of you cesspool giving it a longer life. And your lawn (or some portion of it) is watered for free.

Now since your wife's wote will will out on this I would then pump it directly into the drain line. Unless the drain line is 10' above the washer, I can't see that it would struggle much getting the water to it.

The sump method will work fine but consider this: what happens when the sump burns out (and it will...)? It will die just as your doing a load of wash, and you'll come downstairs to find sudsy water all over your basement. If the washer pump dies, well then the water will just stay in the machine.

Old 04-17-03, 12:05 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
But, if you think your wife may be willing; Do a search on this forum using the keyword "Greywater" and in my quest to figure-out how I was going to address the issue, you'll find some links and discussions of some alternatives, one of which could be classified as a fancier "pipe out back". Though of course, since it is one of my threads, it's full of a bunch of extra words, so be advised and I haven't a clue what this does to the running tally...

Good Luck;
R

PS) Though, now that I've re-read my greywater thread, you might want to skip my poorly constructed ramblings and focus on what the others are saying because they relate more to the issue at hand.

Last edited by magister; 04-17-03 at 12:47 PM.