Help!! My shower won't turn off!

Old 04-17-03, 06:28 AM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
Question Help!! My shower won't turn off!

When turning off the shower this morning the hot water wouldn't turn off.

The faucet is pretty standard - 2 separate hot/cold round knobs and a 'pull' knob in between to activate the shower. House is 16 yrs old.

The knobs turned fine - just as they normally would to the 'off' position - but a steady stream of hot water continued to come out.

We have turned off the water in the house to stop the hot water in the shower, but have NO idea what to do beyond that.

Is this a DIY-type of situation or is getting a plumber in RIGHT away the best thing? Even if anyone can help with an estimate of the problem and what it might cost so I don't get 'soaked' by the plumber would be helpful.

Thanks!!
Peethree

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-03, 07:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like you have a standard compression type faucet, which means that you probably just need to replace a rubber washer on the end of the hot water stem.
If you have a cold water supply shut-off valve to your water heater, you can shut that off to turn off the hot water only, leaving your cold water on (toilets, etc.).
With the hot water side off, remove the handle and look for a hex cap around the base of the stem, Unscrew that retianing cap counter-clockwise and remove the stem.
Take the stem to a store and get another rubber washer to fit it.
Re-install it, turn the hot water back on and check for leaks.
You can do a Search above on repairing faucets. There are plenty of posts on the subject.
Good Luck!
Mike