Plumbing in unfinished basement below main drain pipe

Old 04-17-03, 03:49 PM
jgena
Visiting Guest
Plumbing in unfinished basement below main drain pipe

I'm interested in finishing my basement to include a full bath & a laundry room. The main drain line for my house (leading out to a septic tank) exits the basement wall at about the six foot level. Any ideas about how I can handle the drains for sink/toilet/shower/bath & washer? Are there some type of reasonably priced pumps available that I need to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-03, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pumps? Yes... Reasonably priced? That depends on what you call reasonable... First, the pump plus the basin to put it in runs about $300 to $350... Then you have to break up your concrete to bury the basin and all the basement plumbing which would mean breaking up from the location of the toilet over to the basin area... Also you would have to break up for the drain for the tub, and over toward the lavatory, so it can involve a lot of work....

I don't know about the advisability of putting a sewage ejector on a septic system, but I suppose it will work... I know some places have limits on doing that.... I personally would forego the remodel until I could get on city sewer...

Old 04-17-03, 06:35 PM
jgena
Visiting Guest
Ok, thanks - let's assume I just want to create a laundry room in the basement (forego putting a bathroom down there). I've been told that perhaps the pump on the washer would be able to push out the waste water (uphill to the main drain). Is there any truth to that and, if it is possible, what does it take to accomplish it?

Old 04-17-03, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, that is true... Most washers will pump up to nearly 20'... some manuals will tell you not to go over 10' or 15' but they will do it... In that case, position the washer underneath a drainline from upstairs that DOES NOT HAVE A TOILET running through it... Cut in a wye in that pipe and put a p-trap and a riser going up from the p-trap atleast 18"... If you need further assistance, I live in GA also and can swing by one day... ...