removing old tub waste drain

Old 04-18-03, 08:47 PM
cynthia4433
Visiting Guest
removing old tub waste drain

I need to remove an old tub waste drain, but it is corroded and won't unscrew from the pipe. The cross-tee in the botton broke out months ago. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-03, 08:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I usually do is take a sharp chisel, even if I have to ruin a wood chisel, and carefully tap it into the bottom portion of the drain around the edge, knocking it counter-clockwise a little at a time... If you have access to the bottom or back, you can sometimes just hacksaw off the bottom portion to get it off...

Old 04-19-03, 02:35 PM
the colonel
Visiting Guest
waste drain removal

I have a similar problem, with a twist. Crossbar was also broken out but when I tried tapping out the fixture with a chisel, the whole thing broke away and turned. This is on an enameled steel tub that also has corroded around the drain allowing water to drain around the drain. Can this be fixed or am I looking at replacing the whole tub?

Old 04-19-03, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, if you have a very corroded tub so much so that it is leaking around the drain, then you very well may need to replace the tub short of doing some kind of bad patch to it... However, you won't really know the condition of the tub until you get the drain removed... I have occasionally had them break away when trying to remove them... In that case, you give up trying to turn it out, but instead you pry the edges up toward the center all the way around... sometimes cutting slots toward the center with a good pair of tin snips... When you have enough of it bent toward the center, it will just fall through leaving the open hole to be cleaned up and inspected...