Old tub drain-HELP!!!!

Old 04-20-03, 07:57 AM
mefergit
Visiting Guest
Old tub drain-HELP!!!!

Happy Easter first of all...
The old screw-in drain is in need of replacement, but when I took it to hardware stores, the "new" fittings do not have the same "threads" as my old one... Any idea where I can find a new one that fits? The tub is over 40 years old, but had very little use, so would like to keep it. I only need drain with right threads- about 11-12 threads I would say. Notice most new ones have 16 threads, but even on ones I've found with 11 threads, the threads are different. Does anyone out there know where to find older style drain?? Appreciate any and all help!
mefergit

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-03, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You need to find a plumbing supply store, not just a standard hardware store.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-20-03, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The old drain is not part of the old tub anyway, so the worst-case scenario would be having to replace the waste and overflow kit which you usually have decent access too... I would first take the piece to a plumbing supply house as suggested however as they should have what you need... There are actually 2 very common sizes, one old and one new, but there is an OLD OLD OLD size that was like 1 3/8" and it is harder to find but can still be found...

Old 04-22-03, 06:22 PM
mefergit
Visiting Guest
old tub drain

Thanks for your words of wisdom... I have checked with a couple of plumbing supply firms, but had no luck... guess I'll just keep looking. JF