How to cut soft copper line-1/4"?

Old 04-20-03, 03:20 PM
sparkie
Visiting Guest
How to cut soft copper line-1/4"?

Got an easy question for you. I have never worked w/ soft copper line before (1/4"). Bought a house and when pulled out frig, I developed a small leak at fill valve. While trying to tight it, seemed to leak more and possibly a hole in gently bent area developed. Plan to cut tubing, add another gentle bend so tubing enters straight, secure tubing to back of frig, install new ferrule and use the rest of the existing parts w/ tape or dope. hand tighten then maybe another 1/2 turn w/ wrenches, right?

The easy question was how to get a good cut-hacksaw or small copper pipe cutters (the type that go round and round the pipe while graduallly tightening) that I would normally use on 1/2 or 3/4 pipe-I don't remember the name.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-03, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
General Cutter only makes 1/2" and 3/4" spring loaded cutters, no other sizes.

1/4" will have to be cut with a regular tubing cutter. Hack saw might make a smooth cut on larger hard pipe, but you will be a little hard pressed to make a round cut which is what you need, on 1/4" soft copper.

Hope this helps, run into problems, ask away and someone will answer you.

Old 04-20-03, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ridgid #103 tubing cutter is your best bet here.Most plumbing supply stores and possibly the big box stores will have them.

Old 04-20-03, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you mentioned cutters that go round and round while tightening gradually, I thought you WERE referring to regular tubing cutters... They will work, and are your best bet... When you go to put the compression fitting together, I do recommend using dope, but put it on the ferrule, NOT on the threads as the threads don't hold the water...

Old 04-21-03, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I will usually put a small dab of pipe joint compound on the threads as well.....it acts as a lubricant and helps get the compression fitting tighter easier.

Old 04-21-03, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not a bad idea PoorP, but I would say that on 1/4" the inclination is usually to overtighten... Also, I meant to say it before, but I have NEVER tightened a compression fitting handtight plus a half-turn... I would say it is more like hand tight plus 2 full turns...

Old 04-22-03, 05:12 PM
sparkie
Visiting Guest
Thanks!!!

Thanks for the info gentlemen!!! I haven't tried the repair yet.