Dual Water heater Install

Old 04-20-03, 08:16 PM
gooselake
Visiting Guest
Dual Water heater Install

I'm replacing my water heater and want to install two units in its place. I've only seen dual water heaters installed in series (hot out of #1 goes into cold of #2) and not in parallel (split cold inputs and re-join at the hot outputs). It seems that a parallel installation would allow each water heater to work equally and make isolating each unit during a future replacement much easier. Is there a problem with installing them in parallel or does placing them in series have some benefits that make it preferable?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-03, 09:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually, as far as isolating them later, it is far easier to isolate 2 heaters that were run in series to begin with... As for parallel, the biggest con is that it is not just a matter of bringing in 2 cold inlets and then bringing the hots back out and tying them in... The distance to the tees (hot and cold) from both heaters has to be exactly the same with the same number of turns for the heaters to draw equally... In fact, if they are off by much at all, virtually ALL the water will be drawn from the one with the least resistance... It is much easier to just hook them up in series... and in series, they both work pretty close to equally anyway... They will wear out about the same time under normal use...