Not a "new" question, I'm sure, about shower plumbing repairs


Old 04-21-03, 07:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Not a "new" question, I'm sure, about shower plumbing repairs

Please humor a newer handyman with a few shower plumbing questions. It seems the shower handle was cracked in the master bath of our new house. I have removed the "old" shower handle, which is only a shower stall (aka no bathtub), down to the actual copper piping connection which is only exposed to the extent of the old circular shower opening in the ceramic tiles. Now, for the questions....the three (one on each side and the one on the top) are soldered into connector fittings as the connect with the shower handle base. How do I loosen and undo the cooper coupling connectors? Do I have to "re-solder" to get these connectors loose? I already have the new shower handle installation kit but just need some advise and "do's/don'ts" on the process of removing the old and installing the new copper fitting for the shower control. I hope some of this makes sense to someone and I apprecciate any and all advice in advance. I also hope I do not have to remove any of the tiles etc. and can do the replacement with just the hole opening from the prior handle opening.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-03, 05:18 PM
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 664
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you are attempting to replace the entire shower control valve, including the brass body that is set behind the tile wall. I doubt you would have the room to do that without removing some tile, or taking out the adjacent wall (often easier). Why not simply replace the handle only. It shoud just be a matter of removing one screw and then sliding on a new handle. Take the old handle with you to the hardware store and get a similar one.
Old 04-21-03, 06:07 PM
Ragnar's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,349
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are going to change the whole valve, you should cut in from the back, into drywall, or if you are lucky there will be a partial access panel back there... You DO NOT want to unsolder the old connections... One, it will be hard to heat them enough,... Two, it's dangerous... Three, you will ruin the valve, and will then HAVE to fix it... Cut an access in the drywall behind instead and use a pair of tubing cutters to cut above the valve, and the two supplies below (make sure the water is off to the house)... Then solder new piece to three new adapters like the old ones... Screw those pieces into the new valve... strap the new valve in place, cut the three pieces to the proper length... put 3 couplings on and then resolder the valve... It can be very challenging... Make sure not to catch anything on fire while you learn...
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: