slow draining ADA compliant sink

Old 04-21-03, 05:05 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slow draining ADA compliant sink

I am having problems with a glass bowl lavatory sink that has an additional ADA handicap angle in it. This type of sink does not have an overflow tube near the top and it will always fill about 1/2 way up with water for a minute or two until the air bubble trapped beneath the strainer will pop, then all the water will rush right out. NO the drain is not clogged. Yes it is properly vented after the trap arm. The only extra piece is the two extra 90 deg turns that move the p-trap to the back of the cabinet and allow for wheelchair access beneath the sink.
It seems that the air bubble is just from the first two inches of the neckpiece just below the bowl but I can't think of any way to recify this. Even adding a studorvent before the p-trap (I know, against the code) wouldn't give air relief to the section passing through the bottom of the bowl.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-03, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, first I would be inclined to think the drain IS stopped up, even if just partially... Why do you think not? Second, I would say make sure the pop-up is adjusted all the way up when in the open position, but you may not have a pop up on the sink, since it is ADA, it may have just a grid drain installed... The overflow tube should be a non-issue,... The overflow doesn't serve as a vent in any way...

Old 04-21-03, 06:43 PM
P
Sure the overflow tube acts as a vent. and you called it. It is a grid type strainer. Newly piped drain run, other adjacent fixtures don't back up and otherwise why would this thing always start draining fast as soon as the bubble pops. I tested the damn thing about ten times and it acts the same way every time. *Pop*...blub, blub, slurp. I only see this in grid or strainer type basins that dont have the overflow or when the overflow is gunked up. It used to be one of my magic tricks that you could mprove the flow on hand basins by running a coat hanger down the overflow to ream out the slime, then the air could escape from those side vents in the pop up assembly, you know just below the putty but just above the pop up rod.

Old 04-21-03, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, the water is IN the bowl and obviously air locks against something... So it may relieve that problem to let some air escape through the overflow opening... I should have been more clear and said the overflow SHOULD NOT act as a vent... If the grid openings were larger, the water would drain and the other openings would let air escape... Also, if you consider how a single compartment sink drains, it doesn't exhibit the same glug, glug, glug feature of your grid drain because it has a larger opening and quickly develops the funnel that lets air in... I just think new grid drains should have larger openings...