Gradual pressure loss in water system

Old 04-22-03, 07:01 AM
garbid
Visiting Guest

Gradual pressure loss in water system.

I have recently noticed that my water system slowly loses pressure and as a result the pump cycles about every fifteen minutes when the inlet valve from the pressure tank to the house supply is open. Iíve done the obvious things like blowing and recharging the galvanized bladder-less tank and checking for noticeable leaks from water supply pipes in the crawl space. I have a hot-water single-pipe heating system and recharged the expansion tank a couple of months ago. Any clues as to what might be causing the slight, but on-going pressure decline?

Thanks for any guidance!

Garbid

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-03, 07:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Do you have a deep or shallow well?
Please describe your compelte system more fully, and Ron (Pumpman) Peeks, the resident well-and-pump expert, will help you when he comes along.
In the meantime, you can visit his site at www.peekspump.com , and another at www.jessstryker.com .
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-22-03, 07:51 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

As Mike stated, a little more info about your system would be helpful.
I did notice that you stated that the pressure dropped when the supply valve to the house was open. Have you closed that valve and watched the pressure? Does it continue to drop?
Let us know.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 04-22-03, 10:56 AM
garbid
Visiting Guest
Dear Ron and Mike: Thanks for the quick follow-up (and you've both been of great help in the past - I've visited Ron's websites on numerous occasions) . Some additional information: The well is relatively shallow, but the pressure does NOT drop when the intake valve from the pressure tank to the house water supply is closed. Additionally, I've just isolated the furnace water supply, and the pressure continues to drop when the furnace supply valve is closed, so the problem must lie somewhere else in the house water system. No toilets or faucets leaking either. Thanks again for any clues! I'm happy to perform more detective work.

Greg (Garbid)

Old 04-22-03, 12:50 PM
J
Received 249 Votes on 219 Posts
You have a leak after the tank. Do you have a shutoff at the house. Close that and see if the pressure drops. If it does then you have leak in the line from the pump to the house.
Other things that I can think of that might be the cause.
water leak under slab. try turning hot water tank valve off.
humidifier on furnace
icemaker on fridge
underground line to remote hose hydrant.