Toilet Mystery

Old 04-23-03, 07:20 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Question Toilet Mystery

Every 30 minutes or so, my toilet must replenish the water in the tank. Not much water is disappearing, as it only takes the toilet a few seconds to replenish it's water supply.

I've looked for possible explanations. I don't see any leakage coming out of the two bolts which hold the tank to the bowl. I also don't see any water leaking into the bowl (i.e. - there's not a continuous, slow flush). 30 minutes seems too fast for evaporation, am I right? Then where is this water going? Could the tank itself be sucking up the water like a sponge?

The only problem that the water disappearance causes is the annoying sound of my toilet constantly having to refill itself. I just want to make sure a bigger problem is not around the corner.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-03, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You just need to replace your flapper in the bottom of the tank.
A flapper may look O.K., but they get weak and won't seal properly, allowing leaking into the bowl. You can double-check this by putting food coloring in the tank to see if it appears in the bowl, if you want.
Replace the flapper. Cut the ring out and use the ears. Clean the flapper seat with steel wool or SOS pad. Shorten the chain on the new flapper to where it just allows the flapper to seal fully.
Should solve the mystery.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-23-03, 10:01 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Thanks OldGuy, I try your suggestion.