installed a new toilet couple of questions

Old 04-23-03, 05:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installed a new toilet couple of questions

So tonight in the last two hours I installed a new tiolet. I follow the directions for everything.

I used one of those waxless rings.. Any thoughts on these?

On the bottom I put plumbers putty to try and make the bowl sit nicly on the floor. It seems to be working well. Question is the left side needs to be tighten down alittle more to make it level. How should I guage when Ive tighten the bowl too much?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-03, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, my feeling on the waxless rings also touches on your second problem... I dislike the waxless rings because they are designed for a PERFECT sitting toilet which almost never happens... A wax ring will form to the bottom of your bowl regardless of whether it is level... As for the plumbers putty, it does not make a very substantial base for a toilet to sit on permanently... I recommend you reset the toilet with a wax ring, and when you begin to tighten the toilet down this time, put some wooden or plastic shims under the edge of the toilet to make it level and stable... Then just snug up the bolts... The porcelain is pretty tough but you CAN break it by overtightening the bolts... That is why you have to depend on having a toilet that sits on the floor/ shims in a stable manner, and the t-bolts just keep it from sliding or moving around... After you have it tightened down and are happy with the level install, then grout or caulk around the base to give it a finished look and for additional stability...