bath tub faucet problem - no hot water

Old 04-24-03, 11:50 AM
faucet_problem
Visiting Guest
Angry bath tub faucet problem - no hot water

About one week ago, hot water stopped coming out of our master bath tub faucet. We haven't had this problem before. ever. The faucet is Moen and the house is about 3 years old.

I opened the faucet assembly, but didn't see anything obviously wrong.

The faucet is mounted on the extrenal wall of the house.

any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-03, 02:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you accidentaly shut off any valves? You may need to replace the cartridge in the valve.

Old 04-24-03, 04:24 PM
faucet_problem
Visiting Guest
I found the solution on another DIY website, and was able to fix it. I removed the cartridge and put it back in. That cleared the clog.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

In case anyone needs instructions on replacing the cartridge, here they are

First shut the water off. If you have the clear acryllic handles take off the plastic end cap that conceals a screw. The screw holds the handle on. Unscrew it and take off the handle. (If you have a lever handle it will be held on by a small allen screw). There will be a chrome sleve over the cartridge. Pull out the chrome sleve. You should then see a little clip that holds the cartridge in. Pull the clip up and out with needle nose pliers. You can then try to pull the cartridge out. Some come out easy most do not. You may have to purchase cartridge pullers. Once the cartidge is out get a large cup or small bucket and place in front of the facucet and have someone turn the water on and off in short bursts to flush out the debris. Then inspect and clean the cartidge. You may even want to replace the cartridge depending on its age. To put back just reverse this process and make sure the little clip goes back all the way in. Hope this helps.

I always pull the cartridge apart to inspect the internal o-rings if I don't replace. The Moen Chateau cartridge is fairly inexpensive, so you might just want to just replace it.

Also check the following link
http://www.moen.com/hidden/pdf/instr...ts/INS151A.pdf

Old 04-24-03, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The more important thing to know is why it stopped up to begin with... It is not normal for a valve to just all of a sudden stop up... Look up info on THIS DIY SITE about a water heater diptube and see if any of your symptoms match...