Clothes washer drain is slow...

Old 04-25-03, 03:14 PM
Rich
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Clothes washer drain is slow...

I just bought a home and recently brought my new washer/dryer in and installed. Problem is, the drain for the washer is overflowing. The drain seems clear, just too small for the volume of water from the washer. Is there any way to slow the pump down on the washer? Or do I need to address the drain line further? The home was built in 1963 but the plumbing seems pretty stout. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you
===============
edit: By the way, the line size is 2" cast iron.

Last edited by Rich; 04-25-03 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-03, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to clean the line out to it's full bore, afterwards it will drain like new.

Old 04-25-03, 08:56 PM
Rich
Visiting Guest
Many thanks sir, kinda what I thought but wanted to get an opinion from someone who knows plumbing.

Old 04-26-03, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree that the drain is fine but needs to be unclogged... A 2" line at 1/4" per foot will carry 10 washing machines by our code... It is probably tied into a kitchen sink line however, and you may need to clean out the kitchen sink line rather than the washing machine line... Just trace the lines first to determine where the problem is...

Old 04-26-03, 03:38 PM
Rich
Visiting Guest
Well, I dumped a buttload of a good enzyme drain cleaner in the main drain this morning, it's 630 pm now, so I am going to see if it helped, otherwise, I will be calling RotoRooter I guess..lol Thanks for the input.

Old 05-01-03, 11:24 AM
Rich
Visiting Guest
Well, just for closure on this, I had two contractors out to survey the situation, both advised me that the age of the pipes plus the material and labor would be between 100 dollars and 1500 dollars to remedy. Both told me to use a good enzyme cleaner 2-3 times a year and to replace the drain where it connects to the cast elbow. I went to my local hardware stor, bought the soap digester and a 4 foot length of 1 1/2 sch 40 PVC, added about a foot to the line length, tested it and all is fine. I have added the soap digester to sit overnight once again just for good measure.

Thanks for the replies gang, much appreciated. I will eventually have the line replaced as I am uncertain of it's condition. But for now, the extended line seems to be handling the 3-5 oz of water I was getting when the machine goes into drain cycle. Be well all, thanks again.

edit: I am a retired HAVC/R service tech...I said the line was 2"...in HVAC, that is correct, in the world of plumbing, it is 1 1/2"...oopsie Forgot my ID and OD differences.