leaky toilet

Old 04-26-03, 11:40 AM
Terryann
Visiting Guest
leaky toilet

Our toilet leaks from the bottom, on one side only. It happens often but not every day.

Two plumbers have not been able to fix it. First, we replaced the toilet. It's Sterling, made by Kohler.

Then they took it to the backyard and filled it with water to see if there were any leaks. There were none.,

Then they replaced the seal. There was no sign of water around the seal.

There was no water in the basement.

We checked the cesspool with the cesspool expert and he said it was fine and nothing needed to be done there.

We put die in the tank and bowl and the next time water came out the bottom, it was clear (that was a big disappointment.)

We just installed a mixing valve but it leaked the next day.

Any ideas? They are stumped. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-03, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

O.K.
A. You replaced the toilet with a new one and it was tested, so it isn't the toilet.
B. They replaced the wax ring seal (which I assume was also done when they installed the new toilet), so it isn't the seal.
C. They installed a mixing valve to eliminate any tank condensation (aka tank sweating) conditions.
D. No colored water leak from the color test in the tank and bowl, but it's still "leaking" clear water on one side only.
E. It doesn't happen every day.
Here's a sight-unseen guess:
There is a toilet BOWL condensation problem being caused on one side by a nearby heating-and-airconditioning vent blowing directly on that one side when someone is running a bath or shower.
If there is, get a plastic deflector for the vent that directs the airflow away from the toilet base, and see if that doesn't solve the problem.
Please come back on this same thread, and let us know if that is it, or if we can explore other possiblities to try to help you.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-26-03, 12:46 PM
Terryann
Visiting Guest
leaky toilet

Mike, you must have great eyesight to have seen the electric heater which is right next to the toilet.

I'm hopeful but I neglected to say that this problem did NOT occur all last winter when the heat was on, but that it occurred all summer. We closed the house in mid-January and had no problem from October to then. We re-opened the house this April and have been using the heat so I thought we'd have no problem, but there it was.

So, with this additional info, do you still think it's the electric baseboard heater? It isn't a vent that can be deflected.

Thanks for such a quick reply,
Terry

Old 04-26-03, 05:41 PM
Cool

Heat + bath/shower moisture-in-the-air condenses on porcelain toilet fixtures with cold water inside.
It usually occurs on toilet tanks, but I believe that in in this case, it is the electric baseboard heat unit right next to the toilet bowl base that is causing your problem (and it may only occur in a transitional weather season.)
I think that you have three choices to prevent this toilet bowl base condensation:
1. Turn off the panel breaker or tstat to that baseboard heater, except in the very cold, dry air season, or
2. Place some type of temporary insulated buffer directly between the baseboard heater and the toilet, if it's too chilly in the bathroom without it on (an insulated cookie sheet might do it), and/or
3. Significantly increase the cubic-feet-per-minute volume of the bathroom ventilation exhaust fan by installing a larger motor in the unit. Bathroom exhaust fans of the same brand have similar housing, but the CFM motors can vary in capacity. Look on the box, and get the largest that they have in the same brand as your exhaust fan (assuming that you have one...if you don't, install one.) It is usually easier to get a complete new unit of the same brand and just exchange the little fan motor, than it is to try to find a motor only.
Increasing the bathroom moist air exhaust will help you more than anything.
I think that the baseboard heater and its proximity to the toilet bowl base is your guilty culprit.
You can see what you have, and how you might best solve the problem better than I can, but I think that this may be it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-26-03, 07:18 PM
Personally, my vote is that it is the supply on the left side of the toilet, OR even more likely the packing nut right behind the handle of the shutoff... If the tank is not sweating badly, then the bowl should not be either, because the bowl actually has 2 layers of porcelain with a buffer of air between the water and the hot air blowing against it... Not that the bowl can't sweat, but if it is sweating the tank should be sweating far worse... Just my opinion though... Take a flashlight and check the supply and valve very carefully...

Old 04-27-03, 07:20 AM
Tank and bowls can sweat all the same, seen it alot here, barrow a de-humidifier and see if that stop this water from appering on the floor.

Went to a house once, client had a humidifier in the room next to the bathroom, the toilet would sweat cups and cups of water off it.

Run your hand across the outside of the toilet bowl and tank, find water on your hand, then you have a humidity problem, don't just test the side of the toilet, check side of tub or shower also

Old 04-27-03, 09:18 AM
Terryann
Visiting Guest
leaky toilet

I'm hoping the mixing valve will solve the problem. It was installed late Saturday afternoon and there was water on the floor on Sunday morning but I'm hoping that was "leftover" condensation.

I have a piece of cardboard on the floor under the tank to see if any water hits it.

Nothing is leaking. I feel the valves every day, several times, and nothing is leaking.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 04-27-03, 05:05 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Are you sure it's the toilet? Could be water from a shower or Water from a sink splashed on the floor. Maybe even bad aim.
Good Luck Woodbutcher