tankless water heater

Old 04-27-03, 07:35 AM
rajidad
Visiting Guest
Question tankless water heater

My 40 gal. elec. water heater in my condo is now 10 yrs old. I'm on the 2nd floor and have seen the damage caused both up and down if it breaks. Therefore, I'm planning on replacing it. Someone had suggest a tankless water heater for efficiency and space savings. Does anyone have experience w/these heaters? (I have a 2/2 condo w/washer-dryer; dishwasher.) How well do they work? Are they more efficient? Installation cost? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 03:20 PM
timborino
Visiting Guest
Sorry I have no experience with them, but I'm also looking at them. They're supposed to be more expensive, but more efficient.

http://doityourself.com/plumbing/hot...ing.htm#demand

Old 04-28-03, 06:54 PM
Felix Miller
Visiting Guest
Tankless Water Heaters

Rajidad:

You will find some assistance in the following sites:

www.controlledenergy.com

www.e-tankless.com

www.tanklesswaterheater.com

www.eemaxinc.com

www.gotankless.com

Old 04-28-03, 07:29 PM
bigmikea
Visiting Guest
They are alot smaller than the tanks.never run out of hot water because they only turn when the water is turned on,costs evens out doown the road do to the effency .Mike A

Old 04-28-03, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is the problem I have with them... A standard heater has X amount of full temp hot water before you run out... So if 3 fixtures are running, you will run out of hot water 3 times as fast, but all three fixtures will have full temp water until the initial amount of hot has been used up... For instance, if you are in the shower and someone turns on the dishwashwer, your shower doesn't go lukewarm, you just run out of water a little faster... Now the tankless on the other hand, can only heat so much water at a time to full temp (based on a max flow rate, no doubt)... So instead what happens if those same three fixtures are turned on simultaneously, all three fixtures will get mildly warm water almost instantly until someone cuts a fixture off... The tankless just can't keep up... Now I think the tankless are fine for serving one bathroom in a commercial installation or maybe a couple of handwashing sinks... But I have NEVER seen one that would keep up with a standard 2.5 bath house with a dishwasher, washer and kitchen sink... And I would NEVER put one in a multi-family dwelling, where someone would not only have to worry about their own usage, but the usage of their neighbors... And to boot, I have found them to be VERY expensive...

Old 04-29-03, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have natural or propane gas here is a site that I had bookmarked a while back:
http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...k1/t-k1buy.htm

Check with local plumbing supply stores and and also find a service tech before you take the plunge.

fred