plumbing

Old 04-27-03, 07:40 PM
jenae
Visiting Guest
plumbing

I just recently had new countertops installed with an undermount sink in the kitchen. When I went to rehang the disposal system, the discharge pipe on the disposer was lower than the drain pipe that goes through the wall. I need to know if this will work or not.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-03, 09:07 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
you can cut the discharge drain shorter but make sure you leave enough to get a nut and washer on it. if that still doesnt give you enough you can use a flanged tailpiece in place of the curved discharge drain.a flanged tailpiece is a 1.5 round plastic pipe but has a flat top to it .it also requiers a flat rubber washer or plastic washer.

Old 04-27-03, 09:13 PM
jenae
Visiting Guest
thanks, but what I really need to know is if the discharge pipe going into the trap which leads into the drain in the wall is lower than the drain going into the wall will the water that normally sits in the trap also be in my discharge pipe and my disposer?

Old 04-28-03, 03:48 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
the discharge side of your trap which goes to the drain sticking out of the wall should be at least level or preferably slightly higher than your drain.water doesnt naturaly flow uphill.it will probably drain if its lower but not as well as it could.

Old 04-28-03, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will be difficult to hook up to the higher p-trap and YES it will leave water sitting in the discharge pipe of the disposal, but it will still drain... I think it is not a good idea to go too much higher with the trap since it will naturally make the trap larger... It is especially bad idea with a disposal hooked to the drain...