repairing leaky bathtub faucet

Old 04-28-03, 04:44 PM
jeileen29
Visiting Guest
repairing leaky bathtub faucet

I'm trying to repair a leaky faucet in my bathtub. I have a two handle bath/shower unit. With the handle removed, the stem recedes into the wall, but it's located inside of a conical sleeve. I rented plumbers sockets to loosen the nuts. I was able to get to the first, smaller nut; but the second, larger (bonnet?) nut seems to lay flush with the back of the inside of the sleeve, and the socket wrench won't catch on it. What's the next step, with this type of faucet? I would be very grateful for some helpful instructions. Thankyou in advance. Janet

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 05:19 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
can you remove or unsrew the sleeve that is covering the nut?usualy these "concial" sleveves are only decorative and come off easily.

Old 04-28-03, 05:26 PM
jeileen29
Visiting Guest
I wasn't sure about that. It doesn't want to budge, but I didn't want to force it, not being sure.

Old 04-28-03, 06:02 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
sorry, dont know if you list a brand name someone else may be familare with it and know more specifics on it.

Old 04-28-03, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would imagine you are working on a Price Pfister valve... Unscrew the sleeve or you will never get a socket on the stem... Also, the first nut you took off needs to be put back on before you use the shower again, unless you want to get a shower at about waist level... Even if you have to force the sleeves off and damage them, they HAVE to come off to work on the valve... Once the sleeves are off, a standard set of stem sockets should have the one you need to remove the stems... Make sure you have the water off first, and with the stems off, you should be able to get standard flat washers to replace the worn ones...

Old 05-06-03, 03:19 PM
jeileen29
Visiting Guest
Thankyou

Many thanks to poleaxed and Ragnar for your help. It only took me a week of working and struggling (in my spare time) but I finally got the job done! What a feeling of accomplishment. With the help of the people at this forum, I think I could do any home repair now!